In case you missed it, “the biggest party of the year” just happened. This is one of the many labels the Met Gala (aka Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute Gala) has picked up over the years. For the unaware, the Met Gala is an event to raise money for the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Additionally, it’s the official opening of the Costume Institute’s annual show — which also serves as the evening’s theme. But aside from that, it’s also an incredible red carpet display of the hottest celebrities in the most daring of designs. With a ticket that’s harder to get than frostbite in June, everybody pulls out all the stops. As an outsider, it’s certainly fun to gawk at the glittering guest list and outlandish styles. Let’s have a look, shall we?
Roger Federer Spotted at the Met Gala
Compared to some of the looks at the event, tennis champ’s Roger Federer outfit for the evening may seem demure. Yet, the Gucci tuxedo with a giant crystal cobra on the back is a huge departure from his normally quite conservative style. But, as the saying goes, “When in Rome, do as the Roman’s do.” And this was, indeed, an epic choice for the athlete. Now, let’s take a look at recently released Sky-Dweller from Rolex.
Roger Federer is of course, also a brand ambassador for Rolex and has been for a long time. It’s the perfect fit, really. Both are Swiss made, both are legends in their respective field, and both are beloved by fans around the world. As an ambassador, it’s not surprising that Roger Federer has a fantastic collection of Rolex watches. And which timepiece did he choose to sport during fashion’s greatest night? The new stainless steel Sky-Dweller with the white gold bezel from Baselworld 2017. The 42mm Rolex timepiece with the white metals and black dial was the ideal choice for his getup.
Met Gala 2017 Fast Facts
- The 2017 theme of the Met Gala was “Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between”
- Rei Kawakubo is the 74-year-old Japanese designer behind the label, Comme des Garçons. She’s especially famous for not conforming to traditional fashion rules
- This is only the second time in the Met Gala’s history that the show was in honor of one living designer. The first one was 1983’s tribute to Yves Saint Laurent
- One ticket to the Met Gala this year was $30,000, while tables were about $275,000
- Last year’s Met Gala raised $13.5 million for the Costume Institute
- Spearheading the event is chairwomen of the gala and editor of American Vogue, Anna Wintour
- Co-chairs included Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen, Pharell, and Katy Perry
- Guest list included less than 600 people this year and each attendee was personally approved by Anna Wintour herself
We’re still waiting to hear how much money this year’s edition raised as opposed to last year. But judging from what we saw, it’ll be an impressive amount. After all, that is the point of the event. Did you catch any of the Met Gala festivities live on TV?