Vintage Rolex Explorer II, Ref. 1655
Sorry, this item is no longer in stock!
Rolex Explorer 1655 Additional Pages
Rolex Explorer Reference 1655 Features
The Rolex 1655 is an epic watch that began production in 1971. The Reference 1655 continues to live up to its reputation as a practical and collectable luxury watch. Learn more about the Rolex Explorer II, Ref. 1655 automatic dual-time watch with date display by reading Bob's fact sheet below.
- Movement - The Rolex Explorer Ref. 1655 utilizes either the caliber 1570 movement , 26 jewels, and glucydur balance with Microstella poising screws.
- Water Proof Case - The 38mm tonneau-shaped stainless steel case features a screw down case back and a Twinlock crown.
- Date Display - This particular reference features a date display on the dial, by the 3 o'clock marker.
- Dial - The dial is a matte black topped with luminous baton and dagger numerals, luminous hands, and sweep centre seconds.
- Hand Evolution - When ref 1655 was initially released, the second hand was straight and the extra hour hand was a bright orange. In 1974 a luminous circle was added to the hour hand. After 1975, the extra hour hand was painted a bright red.
- Unique Crystal and Bezel - The watch's crystal is topped with a magnified lens over the date, to aid in viewing. The watch is topped with a bezel calibrated for 24-hours.
- Bracelet - Ref 1655 is completed with a stainless steel Rolex Oyster riveted bracelet with deployant clasp.
- Produced from 1971 to 1985.
- Ref 1655 has several nicknames, including the "Steve McQueen Explorer II," the "Orange Hand Explorer" and the "Freccione Era Explorer."